Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dear students and parents,

I hope this letter finds all of you well and enjoying some time off from your schoolwork. (I mean that for moms and dads as well as students).

This letter contains some important information for next year. Please read it carefully. I will also post this letter at ashevillelatinseminars.blogspot.com. I will send a second letter immediately following this one with next year’s reading lists and summer assignments. Please read those lists carefully. Be sure to have the books at hand and your summer assignments completed when school begins in August.

Before I get into the schedule, fees, and so forth, I did want to tell those of you who are graduating this year goodbye. Some of us said those goodbyes in class, but I didn’t get a chance to say farewell to some of you because of the AP testing. I wish all of you the very best as you begin your new adventures and pray that God will extend to you every blessing. You’re a great bunch, and I’ll miss you.

Schedule for 2012--2013

Tuesday, August 14--Student/parent meeting at 7 pm at Trinity Presbyterian Church

In what I hope will be a brief meeting, we’ll review our goals for the academic year for each class. All fees for the first semester are due at this time.

Monday, August 20--First day of classes

We do not take any Monday holidays. Please keep in mind that classes meet on Labor Day, Columbus Day, Martin Luther King Day, and so on.

Week of November 19--Thanksgiving break. No classes this week.

December 20--Last day of classes for Christmas. Class celebration at 1 p.m.

January 7--Classes resume. All fees for the second semester are due this day.

Week of March 25--Spring break. (This is the same week as the AB Tech break. It is also Holy Week, with Easter falling on the 31st).

May 9--Final day of classes for the year.

Fees

The semester cost per seminar is $220. Most of you have paid $20 of that fee with your registration, which means that you will owe $200 per seminar in August. If you are unable to make this meeting, please mail the check. I will include my address in the July letter.

In the past, I have taken Trailblazer Ingles script for some of the payments and hope to do the same again this fall. I’ll put the details in the July letter.

Church rules

Church policies regarding our classes will be distributed at the parent/student meeting. I will also email them at that time to you and post them on the blogspot.

Classroom code

I’ll send this as well in July.

Odds and ends

In addition to a regular class notebook, students in the 3Rs classes and in the English History and Literature class will need to bring a composition book to each class. These are the square notebooks, usually with a checked cover. Wal-Mart and other stores usually stock them.

The Monday English History and Literature class is large. If you are able to move to Tuesday’s class, please contact me.

Students in the English History and Literature seminars: you are receiving credit for history and for literature in this seminar. This means that you are expected to complete between six and seven hours worth of work at home. (That’s less than an hour a day on each subject on days you don’t have class). This year we will be spending time at the beginning of each class to check the homework.

Students in AP courses: These subjects require diligence and an earnest commitment on your part. You can best begin your year by completing the summer assignments found with your book list.

All Latin students: Latin is like math in that you can’t afford to get behind in your assignments. It’s important, too, that you understand what you’re doing. If you don’t understand something covered during class, please ask.

Papers and projects: Because of the problems with essays delivered late in the past two years, I am instituting a new policy regarding papers and other projects collected in class. You must have these assignments to me on the day due. I won’t be taking any late papers this year except in cases of extended illness. This means that if you don’t bring the paper you’ll receive a failing grade for it. To compensate, I will at the end of the semester drop your lowest mark from the grade book--a paper, a quiz, whatever the project. This policy doesn’t apply to any final exams or the major papers written by different classes in the spring.

I had mentioned in May that Latin students might wish to get together for some light review over the summer. I’ll send some times for get-togethers later this week.

I’m looking forward to a good year, though the summer looks good too right now. J

Best wishes,

Mr. Minick